|Activity Import, Upload Completion Data, Upload Completions, Course Completions, Training Records, User Transcript, Track Completion, User Completion|
The HR Learn software has an activity import feature that allows you to upload course and module completion data for various existing users. The function of this feature allows you to track completion data for your users by applying a completion record onto user transcripts via the import process. These completions can be existing courses and modules in the portal or can be external training records that need to be recorded in the LMS database for reporting and tracking purposes.
Follow the steps below to create and upload an activity import file:
1. Open the “Users & Groups” menu from the Administrator Toolbar on the left-hand side of the LMS portal.
2. Select “Import Activity Data” from the expanded menu.
3. On the new page that appears, you will see an instructional guide informing you of how to populate an Excel sheet with the correct user and course data for the upload process.
All columns indicated as “Required” on the instructional guide need to be populated for the import file to process successfully. You do not need to populate every field that is outlined in the instructions. However, you do need to populate each field indicated as “Required” on the list. If a required field is missing, the import file will fail to upload.
Note: If you want a user’s completion to be directly related to an existing course in the system, you will need to include the course code in the import file. If the course code is not indicated when the file is uploaded, the completion on the transcript is not related to the course in the system and exists only as a completion timestamp.
4. Once your Excel file is populated and complete, save the file as a “txt” file. To do this, click “Save As” in your Excel spreadsheet and select “Text (Tab delimited).”
5. This will be the file that you upload to the LMS. Take the “txt” file and upload this via the “Upload Activity Data File” button.
6. Once you select the “Upload Activity Data File” button, you can import your file.
7. If your file was formatted and populated correctly, after it is uploaded to the system, you will see the following message appear:
8. Close out of this pop-up window and toggle to the “Manage Activity Data” tab back on the Activity Import page.
9. This page will reflect all historic and successful activity import uploads. The recent upload you just processed will appear on this page alongside any other past upload files.
Note: You can delete the files on the “Manage Activity Data” tab after the fact if you would like to remove this data from users’ transcripts. However, keep in mind that deleting these files will remove and delete the completion records for all the course and users listed in the file. You will not be able to pick and choose who in the file has these removed.
Activity Import Tips and Tricks
- Course completions processed via an activity import file will only be applied to a user’s transcript. If the user has an existing enrollment on their user account for one of the courses being honored in the activity import file, the enrollment will remain untouched and remain at the status the user had previously had for the course. The course completions being processed via the activity import file will be placed on the users’ transcripts and in reporting data.
- Course completions uploaded via an activity import file will not automatically award associated certificates for the indicated courses and modules. If you need to award certificates to your users, please utilize the “Import Certificate Data” process.
- You can build enrollment rulesets off completion data on a user’s transcript. For example, if you create a ruleset enrollment that says, “User is complete for course ABC,” users that had this completion processed to their accounts via an activity import file will fall under this ruleset successfully if the course code was applied to the activity import file.
Activity Import Example
Shown below is an example of a successfully processed activity import file and the resulting course completion listed on the user’s transcript.
User Transcript Results: